Game of Thrones has drawn a worldwide viewership in the tens of millions and this massive following shows no sign of waning. Watching the series on HBO, however, can be a bit of a drag. The streaming service is available in only a few select countries, so streaming it on your desktop or tablet is just not an option in the unfortunate regions.
Fortunately, many people have been able to resolve this problem by using a VPN, which creates a secure and private tunnel to the internet, prevents third parties from monitoring your data, and hides your identity. As a result, you can watch HBO from anywhere in the world.
What to consider when choosing the best VPN to stream Game of Thrones
The most important considerations to make when choosing a VPN to stream Game of Thrones are speed and privacy. All providers promise lightning speed and powerful encryption, but how do you compare all the technical features of various providers? Our experts have made this easier for you by testing and researching numerous VPNs and creating the list of recommended providers in the next section of this article.
We used the following considerations to determine the best VPNs for streaming Game of Thrones on HBO or shows on any other geo-restricted streaming services.
- Server network. A VPN with a large global network of servers gives you access to content in more countries, as well as superior speeds and minimal lag.
- Security features. Powerful encryption is not enough to ensure your online privacy. If your software crashes or your VPN connection drops, your personal details may leak without your knowledge. Features such as an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection prevent these data leaks from happening, whether you’re using the VPN for streaming Game of Thrones or for your journalistic endeavors.
- Logging policy. A provider’s logging policy is a major part of your online privacy. Stored data such as IP addresses and traffic information are a threat to your anonymity because they can be linked with your identity. It is, therefore, important that you choose a provider with a strict zero-logging policy.
- Payment methods. When you use PayPal or a credit card to pay for a VPN service, your personal data can be linked to your VPN account. Paying for the service using cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin adds a layer of anonymity to your online activities because the transaction can’t be linked with your personally identifiable information.
- Jurisdiction. VPN providers are subject to the laws of the countries in which they operate. Some jurisdictions require providers to record user data and share it with government agencies when it is deemed necessary. Using a VPN based in a privacy-friendly country minimizes the likelihood of your data falling into the wrong hands.
That said, here is a list of our top recommendations for VPNs for streaming Game of Thrones.
- Unrestricted bandwidth
- Supports torrenting
- Strict no-logging policy
- Offers anonymous payment via Bitcoin
ExpressVPN is a highly intuitive VPN. The provider’s apps are user-friendly, allowing you to customize your connection with a few simple clicks. You don’t need to tinker with complicated settings and configuration files because the app identifies the fastest server for you as soon as you log on. With this provider, you spend less time installing or configuring and more time streaming Game of Thrones.
This provider is known for its top speeds. It has a large global server network in 94 countries that ensures you always find a fast and reliable connection regardless of your location. If you don’t like the speed, you can use the built-in speed test to check the speeds of servers in the whole network and choose a faster server in a few clicks.
Security features offered by ExpressVPN include an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection, both of which are designed to prevent your data from inadvertently leaking in case your VPN connection drops. The service ensures your online security via 256-bit AES encryption and online privacy through a strict no-logging policy on all IP addresses, DNS requests and traffic. Add to that unmonitored traffic and unrestricted bandwidth and you have an excellent recipe for a VPN that is fast, reliable and highly secure.
- 1 month: $12.95/mo billed $12.95 every month
- 12 months: $8.32/mo billed $99.95 every 12 months
- 6 months: $9.99/mo billed $59.95 every 6 months
- Vast global server network
- Anonymity through third-party DNS server options and automatic IP refreshes
- Supports torrenting
- Compatible across all device operating systems
IPVanish helps you become invisible as your stream Game of Thrones through powerful security protocols. The provider offers 256-bit AES encryption to keep out snoopers. An automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection ensure your data doesn’t leak out of your tunnel and the provider’s zero-logging policy reduces the chances of your data falling into the hands of the government or annoying advertisers.
The provider’s server network is present in 60 countries and has more than 850 servers that offer users a total of 40,000 shared IP addresses. This gives you anonymity, gets you around censorship walls and grants you access to geo-restricted content. Other advantages of this service include P2P file sharing support, no speed throttling and unlimited bandwidth.
- 1 year: $6.49/mo billed $77.99 every 12 months
- 1 month: $10.00/mo billed $10.00 every month
- 3 months: $9.99/mo billed $26.99 every 3 months
- Effectively bypasses powerful censorship firewalls, such as the Great Firewall of China
- Has servers dedicated to DDoS protection, Onion routing, double-VPN and P2P downloads
- Unblocks all popular streaming services
- Compatible with all operating systems
Among the most impressive features of NordVPN is its vast network, which is present in more 61 countries and has more than 1,000 servers. The result is that you need not worry about getting a fast, reliable connection to any location in the world. You also enjoy unmonitored traffic, unlimited bandwidth, no throttling and support for torrenting.
The provider’s no-logging policy applies to IP addresses, timestamps, traffic and bandwidth. None of your personally identifiable data gets into the hands of your ISP or government. Your data is protected by 256-bit AES encryption accompanied with DNS leak protection, an automatic kill switch and anonymity through Bitcoin payments.
- 1-month plan: $11.95/mo billed $11.95 every month
- 2-year plan: $3.29/mo billed $79.00 every 2 years
- 1-year plan: $5.75/mo billed $69.00 every year
- Large server network
- Highly secure Chameleon protocol
- Unlimited bandwidth and P2P support
- Compatible with all operating systems
VyprVPN is the perfect provider if your biggest concern is privacy. All the 700 servers in 70 countries are owned and controlled by the provider, which is good news for your online security and speed. Security is tight thanks to 256-bit AES encryption and online privacy is ensured through a zero-logging policy that applies to your traffic and DNS requests.
Another feature that sets VyprVPN apart in the industry is its Chameleon protocol, which not only encrypts your data but also your metadata in a second layer. This helps beat deep packet inspection (DPI), which is a method used by governments and ISPs to spy on internet users in order to, among other things, throttle their connection. The Chameleon protocol is particularly useful in countries with heavy censorship such as China.
- Premium: $6.67/mo billed annually or $12.95/mo billed monthly (First year billed $5.00/mo billed $80.00 annually)
- Basic: $5.00/mo billed annually or $9.95/mo billed monthly (First year billed $3.75/mo billed $60.00 annually)
Which VPN have you been using to catch up with the adventures in Westeros? What has been your experience using them to stream content? Please share your views in the comment section below.