Cargo VPN review
Cargo VPN is one of the not so famous niche VPNs out there. It is a US-based Eltima software, which has proven to be a very tricky VPN. Tricky is not exactly a compliment in the VPN world, which is why we brought it to ourselves to look into this particular VPN and figure out what is going on. A lot of people have come out to openly criticize Cargo VPN but that makes me wonder, is Cargo VPN a work in progress or just a complete flat out flop?
Cargo VPN is a niche because it basically only caters to Mac and iOS devices. However, their package widely includes over 1000 servers in about 70 locations, which is really impressive.
Is My Privacy Protected with Cargo VPN?
When it comes to Cargo VPN you need not worry about privacy. Eltima software assures its users that it by no means keeps activity logs of its users, but sure enough, logs your session data. All the private information that you provide to Cargo VPN is well-stored and not outsourced to third parties.
Eltima Software respects your right to privacy and we understand that, as a visitor to our corporate website, sites of our departments and products, you prefer to control the way you share your personal information and preferences. When you engage in activities on our website such as ordering/registering products, accessing members-only areas, requesting technical support, or subscribing to newsletters and e-mail publications, you may be asked to provide us with some identifying information.
The provider also stores encrypted logs in order to know the number of devices connected to any particular account.
Online activation is required for some of our products. Our software doesn’t collect any personal information from your computer during online activation. It uses only the information needed to verify whether you are using a legal copy of an application and that it is not used on more computers than the license terms allow. The information gathered during activation (Hardware serial numbers (a computer’s unique hardware ID), the purchased product ID, build number and activation code) are encrypted and sent to our servers. Thus, Eltima Software guarantees that no personal information is collected during activation. Neither information, about the Licensee nor about his /her computer is provided to any third parties without the Licensee’s knowledge or prior notification. Again, this data is used only for the purposes of verification that the copy of the purchased application is genuine and to determine whether the number of permitted activations is not exceeded.
How Much is Cargo VPN? Is There a Free Trial?
Cargo VPN has some very interesting pricing and even more interesting refund policies. Their paid plans come in three variations – a monthly subscription will set you back $9.99. Their annual plan is $49.99, but you can have a plan of three years worth of Cargo VPN for only $99.99. All subscriptions are auto-renewable by default, and very understandably, you get to pay via iTunes.
Its iTunes page claims that the VPN offers a 24-hour free trial, which I was never able to try. The trial version seems like a complete rip off since I didn’t get to experience all 24 hours, and their support didn’t offer a solution either.
Eltima’s Refund Policy is packed with clauses that only cover situations when you are not exactly eligible for a refund, and it is not clear if it applies to their VPN at all.
Cases ineligible for a refund include:
- The client refuses to follow the instructions of the Eltima Customer Service Team or doesn’t provide the requested assistance.
- There is a fix or a workaround to the issue reported as a reason for a refund.
- The software was purchased by mistake or on assumption that it does something that it is not intended to do.
- There is a functional peculiarity that is mentioned in the user guide to the software or on the product’s webpage.
- The client purchased the software for an OS different from that used by the client (in this case we will be glad to change the license for the needed one, if possible).
- The client did not read the license description and purchased a license type that does not meet their needs.
- The bug reported was fixed in a newer version than the client owns, but the client refuses to upgrade.
- The problem is caused by the client’s system or network settings or by a third-party application or device.
- The client changed their mind and no longer wants the product for non-technical reasons.
- The software purchased from us was lost, stolen, damaged or traded.
- The software was ordered as part of a time-limited promo.
- The client purchased or downloaded another software that seems to meet their needs better according to their own assumptions.
- The client purchased the software not from an official Eltima Software reseller, but from a third party not related to Eltima Software. If you are unsure, contact [email protected] before purchasing.
- A refund is requested due to an issue that could have been tested with the free trial/demo version, since the software is delivered to the licensee “as is”.
I think it’s worth mentioning that Cargo VPN somehow appears to be a dealer of KeepSolid VPN. This is because they offer an identical VPN client, monthly rates and servers, but a significantly poor user experience.
Regarding payment methods, you can’t pay with Bitcoin, and all downloads are directly tied to your Apple ID. With all this in mind, Cargo VPN might not meet the basic standards of a VPN that is designed for private browsing, because for the most part you’ll be leaving several digital footprints.
Cargo VPN Speed Test
The speed provided by Cargo VPN is much faster compared to other VPNs, which is great considering that their servers are optimized specifically for BBC iPlayer streaming and Netflix, so you will have no problems accessing the newest shows on Netflix.
How is Customer Service at Cargo VPN?
Cargo VPN happens to have a disturbingly slow customer service. This is the type of service that really tests your patience as a person. The service does have a live chat feature, which was of no help whatsoever during my tests because someone only took the trouble of answering my numerous questions days later. As if that wasn’t discouraging enough, I found that the FAQ section offers scarce information and that didn’t help the situation at all.
||Public mailbox||Dedicated mailbox|
- Does VPN keep logs - Partially
- Includes Kill Switch - No
- Number of Server Locations (countries) - 70
- Number of servers - 1000
- Number of IP Addresses - 1
- Devices per license - 5
- Encrypts internet traffic
- IP address cloaking
- Multi-platform support
- Detects Public WiFi
- Zero censorship
- Personal Static IP
- Personal VPN server
Is Cargo VPN Safe?
Cargo VPN is great on paper, but in practice it is pretty basic. The features provided by this VPN can pretty much be found anywhere else and at a cheaper price. There are a few great features, as I mentioned above, but in general I would advise users to look elsewhere if they are looking for a privacy-focused VPN.